TECS Land Wales
Location: Ael y Byrn, Mumbles, Swansea, Wales
Age: 13-16 Years Old
English Programme: Authentic English
TECS Land Wales takes place in a fantastic house called Ael y Bryn (brow of the hill in Welsh) in a little town called Mumbles. Ael y Bryn is a house that is owned by us, and was originally David’s (the General Manager of TECS) grandparent’s house which has been done up specifically for this programme. The house is huge with ensuite bathrooms, a great kitchen, comfy sitting room, a project room, and two gardens which are perfect for playing a bit of football.
The village of Mumbles is a beautiful little holiday destination town beside Swansea. It is very busy during the summer, being a destination in the UK for those who enjoy more of a staycation! It is especially popular among the surfing community, for the sheer quantity and quality of beaches in the area. The village itself is a 15 minute walk from the house, and has two supermarkets, plus a lot of the usual high street shops you would expect, as well as a few fancy boutiques.
Just a 5 minute walk from the house is the stunning Caswell Bay, a beautiful beach. Close by is Langland Bay, and the area has many more beaches that can be reached by car.
ENGLISH PROGRAMME :
Authentic English is focused on students learning English in the UK in a true or “authentic” way. We do this by alternating between days of more “traditional” English classes and Task-Based Learning classes.
The whole focus of the English programme will be focused on developing student’s language during class and then having outcomes whereby they implement their English in the locality by having tasks that force the students to integrate with the locals.
This will be done by having three different types of days:
Type 1: Traditional Class Day
- 4 hours of “traditional” class in the morning
- Activities onsite in the afternoon (Sports, activities, a project, learn how to play cricket somewhere nearby, etc.)
- Evening activity offsite (cinema, go for icecream, teen disco, etc.)
Type 2: Task-Based Excursion Class Day
- 1 hour of “traditional” class in the morning
- Offsite Task-Based learning excursion from 10/11 until 18:00 (Picnic lunch). This task will be something that the tutors will have prepared in class the day before and will have a reflection aspect the next day (Survey the locals, shop for ingredients to make a meal, newspaper buying/writing, etc.)
- Onsite evening activities
Type 3: Excursion Day
- Full day offsite from after breakfast until dinner (18:00 ish)
- 1 excursion to Heatherton World of Activities
- 1 excursion to Caerphilly Castle and Cardiff for a cultural tour
- 1 excursion to the Big Pit, a functioning coal mine
The TECS Land Wales programme is different to that of our other summer camps as obviously one of the main reasons why a Spanish family would send their kid to Tecs Land Wales, apart from learning English, is visit the U.K. and experience its culture. The Activity programme encourages this as much as possible, by allowing campers to do simple things such as buy icecream from a native speaker, and explore the village and area around the house, to make the most of being in an immersion environment.