This page is the complete description and details for the summer camp monitor position including job responsibilities, dates, wage, etc. At the bottom of the page you can apply online.
Job Title: Camp Monitor (Activity Instructor and Group Leader)
Reports to: Camp Director
Responsible for: Groups of around 9-18 children.
Our TECS Land Wales programme is unique in a sense that it has a unique type of programme and it is based in our very own house, Ael y Bryn, in the fantastic area of Mumbles in Swansea, Wales. The type of programme is very much a relaxed type of programme, compared to that of a summer camp, where the kids will have a mix of English classes, organized activities and evening entertainments, and also relaxing in our fantastic house.
The English programme is called “Authentic English” as it is focused on students learning English in the UK in a true or “authentic” way. We do this by alternating between days of more “traditional” English classes and Task-Based Learning classes. The whole focus of the English programme will be focused on developing student’s language during class and then having outcomes whereby they implement their English in the locality by having tasks that force the students to integrate with the locals.
The three types of days are:
1.Traditional Class Day
The kids will have four hours of 4 hours of top quality English classes, which will be prepared and run by the tutors. After class the kids will have lunch and then the afternoon will be made up of some relaxing around the house, and sports and activities run by the monitor. They will have dinner and then shower time supervised by the staff. The evenings on these days will be off-site activities such as a trip into town for an ice-cream, cinema, teenage disco, etc.
- Task-Based Excursion Class Day
On these days the kids will have 1 hour of top quality English class, and then the rest of the day will be made up of an offsite task-based learning excursion where the tutors will organize an activity that ties into class whereby the students take what they’ve learned in class previously and do an activitiy that makes them interact with the local community (Survey the locals, buy food in a supermarket to do a Come dine with me, researching the local interests or culture, etc.). As the kids have been out all day the monitor will run an on-site evening activity on these days (murder mystery, xbox competition night, etc.)
- Excursion Day
On these days the kids will be taken off-site all day to either a theme park, Cardiff + Caerphilly Castle, or to do some shopping in Swansea.
Job Responsibilities + Tasks
- To ensure TECS campers have the best possible experience in all areas of camp life.
- To ensure the safety and welfare of the campers at all times.
- To represent the camp and TECS positively at all times.
- Motivate and inspire the campers to use and learn the most English on camp possible.
- Reading the camp manuals, https://tecsemployment.com/manuals/, and familiarising yourself with all areas of the camp programme before your arrival on camp.
- Run the morning routine for the assigned leader group.
- Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with the assigned leader group, ensuring proper table control, manners and that each child eats sufficiently.
- Actively supervise campers during chill out times.
- Plan and create lesson plans for all sports sessions in advance and have them in folder at all times.
- Run the sports or projects as assigned.
- Actively supervise showers as assigned.
- Actively supervise and participate in the evening activities as assigned.
- Run the putting to bed routine.
- On a rota basis, act as night watch guards, controlling children and being the on duty responsible in case of problems.
GENERAL LEADER REPSONSIBILITIES
- Ensure the effective supervision and safety of the campers.
- Monitor the behaviour and progress of the campers in the allocated group in the recreational activities and take action to resolve any problems and, where necessary, liaise with the Camp director.
- Supervise and ensure the safety on excursions.
- Ensure the campers respect all camp facilities and equipment and at all times be responsible for ensuring the campers uphold the camp rules and regulations.
- Uphold all areas of the staff code of conduct as outlined in the conditions of contract sheet and be an example to fellow staff of correct work conduct and attitude at all times.
- Carry out all tasks asked of you by the members of the TECS management team, professionally and thoroughly.
- Must wear uniform continuously, red TECS polo on arrivals, departures and excursions and blue or white TECS t-shirts at all other times.
ARRIVAL + DEPARTURES
- You will be transported to Seville airport where you will meet with the parents to receive the children.
- Ensure that parents pass you all documentation and information necessary (passports, etc.)
- Supervise and organise the group to ensure correctly passing through security and boarding flight without issue.
- Collecting more campers in Madrid Airport.
- Supervising group through the entire transfer Seville airport to Madrid airport to Cardiff airport.
- In Cardiff getting kids onto the bus and bringing them to the camp venue.
- Being in constant communication with TECS Director of Welfare and Parental Communication, and letting them know that the group has arrived safely to the various locations.
- Familiarise yourself thoroughly with the physical environment and organisation of the camp.
- Participate in regular meetings held with the Director and Tutors before and during camp.
- At times, carry out assigned office/admin tasks.
- At the end of each camp, assist in the translation of student reports from English into Spanish.
HOURS OF WORK:
Camp work is very demanding and all candidates should recognise that this job is anything but 9-5 living, with long hours needing to be put in by all camp staff. Depending on the assigned age group, time off during the day will be between 3 and 4 hours. Each monitor will also have one week evening (from end of evening entertainment) and the morning after off and one full day off at the weekend. Also at times, extra bonus time off will be assigned to those staff working hard and maintaining positive attitudes.
Benefits of Working on a TECS Summer Camp
- Ambience of summer camp environment- team work and spirit!
- Fulfilment of working with kids and of managing people in that environment.
- Professional and personal development
- Friends from around the world.
- Staff uniform- enough so you won’t have to rewash them yourself!
- Staff final meal – these are big things and for many staff the highlight of the summer so DON’T LEAVE CAMP UNTIL THE DAY AFTER WORK FINISHES.
- Knowledgeable year round central office management. The top management were ALL once staff members and mid-management themselves at one point.
- Supportive management structure.
- Guiding hand on the rewarding path to professional development and personal development.
Job Review and Performance Management
For all monitor positions, regular feedback will be provided from the Camp director about job performance and objectives. Also the Camp director will be available at any time to discuss concerns or problems that may occur, or to offer support in situations when help is deemed necessary. One to one meetings can also be arranged with the Camp Director at any time.
POSSIBLE FUTURE EMPLOYMENT:
TECS runs a year round academy and has a year-round team, therefore for teachers who display the correct attitude and work performance level there will be the opportunity of year round employment with us.
What we’re looking for: Requirements + Knowledge/Skills
- Experience of working with children in previous employment.
- Preferred summer camp experience, but not essential.
- Experience of organising activities for small groups of children and preferred experience of working with foreign language children.
- Experience of working in a fast moving environment where stress levels can at times be very high.
- A Level or Higher qualifications or another nation’s equivalent. Applicants with special: Arts and Crafts, Music or Sporting qualifications will be looked upon favourably.
- Any Camp Monitor must be 19 years of age before the starting date of contract (applicants under 19 should apply to the Assistant Monitor post).
- First class interpersonal skills with ability to control children in a motivational and fair way, which enables campers to integrate into the English environment smoothly and encourages them to speak English.
- The ability to manage continually conflicting priorities in a high pressured environment.
- High energy levels and a young but responsible mature outlook on life and work.
- A positive attitude and ability to put yourself in other’s shoes, in order to work effectively as a key part of a large diverse team.
- Adaptability and ability to think on the spot in what can be at times a highly unpredictable and spontaneous environment.
- Candidates with a full EU driving license will be looked upon favourably.
STATEMENT OF WRITTEN PARTICULARS
- Arrive on Tuesday 23rd June 2020 from 15:00.
- Staff Training Week: 24th June – 27th June.
- Camp Work Start Date: 28th June (camper’s arrival)*.
- TECS land Wales dates are still to be determined.
Note: We do have some extra positions that can start a week or two previously to the dates mentioned above. If interested please indicate on application.
Wage + Work Dates (Dates still TBD)
Option 1 (Fortnight 1-3)
- Dates (inc. training): 24th June – 12th August 2020
- Net Pay: €975
Option 2 (Fortnight 1+2)
- Dates (inc. training): 24th June – 27th July 2020
- Net Pay: €650
Option 3 (Fortnight 3)
- Dates (inc. training): 24th June – 8th August 2020
- Net Pay: €325
Other Conditions + Notes:
- Accommodation and food are included in the conditions.
- TECS believes in professional development and for that reason extensive training is given to all our staff who will be as well trained as is possible for the taking on of all their responsibilities.
- All as stated above in “benefits of the job”.
* As this is start of camp, this is the start date which will appear on Spanish contracts.