This page is the complete description and details for the summer camp Tutor position including job responsibilities, dates, wage, etc. At the bottom of the page you can apply online.
Job Title: TECS College Tutor
Reports to: Camp Site Director
Responsible for: Personal and professional development of all TECS College students, but primarily their tutor group of up to 7 students.
TECS College is a completely different programme to any other TECS summer camp, to any other summer camp in Spain, and maybe any other camp in the world! The main focus of our summer camps is to teach children Spanish kids English in a fun, dynamic summer camp environment. In TECS College, however, the objective is to get a small amount (21-28) of students who are 16-18 years old and inspire and guide them in their personal and professional development.
TECS College tutors do not teach English classes but rather personal development workshops such as c.v. writing, public speaking, etc. Tutors are not only responsible for ensuring that all students are speaking Total English but also for: planning and executing workshops, running development projects, running certain evening entertainments and have one-to-one development meetings to name some of the extra responsibilities they will have compared to a normal camp teacher.
We purposely keep this camp small in order to be able to deliver the best development experience to the students while also being able to do so through the most talented and experienced staff. In TECS College there are only 3-4 tutors, the camp director and possibly an ex-alumni working. The tutors tend to be people who have worked with us before, usually as managers or directors, and who are quite creative and development focused. Sometimes they can be people who maybe have done a few summers with us before and nolonger have the ability or interest in working the full 5-8 weeks that they maybe did in the past and would like to have shorter 2 week fulfilling and inspirational experience.
Tutors will be expected to attend the May Training Planning Weekend and also to start a few days before the campers arrive in order to plan out their workshops and development projects, and assist with any set up necessary.
Job Responsibilities + Tasks
- To ensure TECS College students have the best possible experience in all areas of camp life.
- To ensure the safety and welfare of the students at all times.
- To plan and run their workshops, development projects, and all other parts of the programme to the highest level possible.
HOURS OF WORK:
The hours of work for a Tutor are set as per the daily timetable, however on certain days three may be events that eat into this free time. All candidates should be prepared to have an open work schedule and be prepared to work long hours, particularly in the initial stages of camp, to get jobs/tasks finished. TECS College Tutors should also note that they do not have the same time off as normal teachers in other camps, but instead have a schedule, like all other management staff, which is dictated by daily events.
The Tutors will not have one entire day off at the weekend but will instead have this time, more or less, made up for over the two days of the weekend. Tutors will be the camp night watch responsible every third or fourth evening and be required to be on site all night with the emergency phone on those days.
Benefits of Working on a TECS Summer Camp
- Ambience of summer camp environment- team work and spirit!
- Fulfilment of working with kids and of managing people in that environment.
- Professional and personal development
- Friends from around the world.
- Sun and fun!
- Staff uniform- enough so you won’t have to rewash them yourself!
- Staff events- weekend trips, sport and game competitions during camp.
- Management Bonding Meal at before camp starts and reward meal at end of summer.
- Staff final meal – these are big things and for many staff the highlight of the summer so DON’T LEAVE CAMP UNTIL THE DAY AFTER WORK FINISHES.
- Knowledgeable year round central office management. The top management were ALL once staff members and mid-management themselves at one point.
- Supportive management structure.
- Guiding hand on the rewarding path to professional development and personal development.
Job Review and Performance Management
Regular feedback will be provided from the Camp Site Director about job performance and objectives. Also the Camp Site Director will be available at any time to discuss concerns or problems that may occur.
POSSIBLE FUTURE EMPLOYMENT:
TECS runs a year round academy and has a year-round team, therefore for teachers who display the correct attitude and work performance level there will be the opportunity of year round employment with us.
What we’re looking for: Requirements + Knowledge/Skills
- Experience working on one of our TECS Summer Camps, preferably in a management position.
- At least three years of TEFL teaching experience.
- Relevant experience of man-management in past employment.
- Experience of D.O.S. like work preferred but not essential if candidate has relevant teaching knowledge and experience of leadership.
- Experience of working in a fast moving environment where stress levels can at times be very high.
- Experience in coaching, personal training or professional development sectors looked upon favourably.
- Recognised TEFL qualification as minimum and preferred extra qualifications in TEFL or general teaching.
- Competent knowledge of Microsoft Office package and preferred experience of using Databases.
- First class interpersonal skills, with ability to man-manage in a motivational and fair way which encourages staff to maintain high levels of performance.
- Very high level of oral and written skills including persuasion, negotiation and advocacy.
- The ability to manage continually conflicting priorities in a high pressured environment.
- High energy levels and a young but responsible and mature outlook on life and work.
- Knowledge of Spanish and the customs and culture of Spain preferred but not essential (although please note the language of communication with the campers at all time is English).
*** Spanish is NOT a requirement to work on TECS Summer Camps as staff are not allowed to speak Spanish in front of the kids***
STATEMENT OF WRITTEN PARTICULARS
Training Planning Weekend
Contracted tutors are required to attend our annual training planning weekend for managers where we focus on getting things ready for the summer, developing our management teams, and bonding the teams. All travel expenses are covered by TECS. The provisional dates are 30-31st May.
Wage + Work Dates
All figures shown below are NET (after tax):
- Arrive on Thursday 9th July 2020
- Planning + Organisation: 10th – 11th July
- Camp Work Start Date: 12th July (camper’s arrival)*.
- TECS College: 12th July – 25th July (End of the day)
*As this is start of camp, this is the start date which will appear on Spanish contracts.
- Accommodation and meals throughout contract length.
- TECS believes in professional development and for that reason extensive training is given to all our staff who will be as well trained as is possible for the taking on of all their responsibilities.
- All as stated above in “benefits of the job”.
- There will be a special end of camp dinner and party for staff in all camps on the last night. Staff are permitted to sleep on site the night of their end of camp dinner and party but must leave before 12 noon on the Sunday.