This page is the complete description and details for the TECS Land Wales Tutor position including job responsibilities, dates, wage, etc. At the bottom of the page you can apply online and download the complete pdf job profile.
Job Title: Tecs Land Wales Tutor (Language Instructor and Group Leader)
Reports to: Programme Director
Responsible for: Groups of around 12 children.
Our TECS Land Wales programme is unique in a sense that it has a unique type of programme and it is based in our very own house, Ael y Bryn, in the fantastic area of Mumbles in Swansea, Wales. The type of programme is very much a relaxed type of programme, compared to that of a summer camp, where the kids will have a mix of English classes, organized activities and evening entertainments, and also relaxing in our fantastic house.
The English programme is called “Authentic English” as it is focused on students learning English in the UK in a true or “authentic” way. We do this by alternating between days of more “traditional” English classes and Task-Based Learning classes. The whole focus of the English programme will be focused on developing student’s language during class and then having outcomes whereby they implement their English in the locality by having tasks that force the students to integrate with the locals.
The three types of days are:
1.Traditional Class Day
The kids will have four hours of 4 hours of top quality English classes, which will be prepared and run by the tutors. After class the kids will have lunch and then the afternoon will be made up of some relaxing around the house, and sports and activities run by the monitor. They will have dinner and then shower time supervised by the staff. The evenings on these days will be off-site activities such as a trip into town for an ice-cream, cinema, teenage disco, etc.
- Task-Based Excursion Class Day
On these days the kids will have 1 hour of top quality English class, and then the rest of the day will be made up of an offsite task-based learning excursion where the tutors will organize an activity that ties into class whereby the students take what they’ve learned in class previously and do an activitiy that makes them interact with the local community (Survey the locals, buy food in a supermarket to do a Come dine with me, researching the local interests or culture, etc.). As the kids have been out all day the monitor will run an on-site evening activity on these days (murder mystery, xbox competition night, etc.)
- Excursion Day
On these days the kids will be taken off-site all day to either a theme park, Cardiff + Caerphilly Castle, or to do some shopping in Swansea.
Job Responsibilities + Tasks
LANGUAGE INTRUCTOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Every second day teach up to 4 hours of English as a Foreign Language to an allocated group of around 5-12 children.
- Every other day either organise and run a task-based learning activity or project that ties into class in the surrounding area, or supervise your kids on the assigned excursion.
- Plan and organise above yout TEFL classes by doing as much planning as you can before coming to camp.
- Monitor the progress of the students and keep a record of progress.
- Reading the camp manuals, https://tecsemployment.com/manuals/, and familiarising yourself with all areas of the programme before your arrival on camp.
- Ensure the effective supervision and safety of the campers
- Eat lunch dinner and breakfast with the kids, maintaining proper table control and manners and ensuring that each child eats sufficiently.
- Actively supervise campers during chill out time.
- Supervise showers as assigned.
- Actively supervise and participate in the evening activities as assigned.
- Carry out the putting to bed routine as assigned.
- If a tutor has a driving license they may be asked to drive the company Van for shuttling the students to local areas.
GENERAL CAMP LEADER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor the behaviour and progress of the campers in the allocated group in the recreational activities, take action to resolve any problems and, where necessary, liaise with the Camp Coordinators and Welfare Monitor on matters connected to discipline and/or welfare.
- Familiarise yourselves thoroughly with the physical environment and organisation of the camp
- Participate in regular meetings held with the Director before and during the camp.
- At times carryout assigned office/admin tasks.
- Ensure the campers respect all camp facilities and equipment and at all times be responsible for ensuring the campers uphold the camp rules and regulations.
- Uphold all areas of the staff code of conduct as outlined in the conditions of contract sheet and be an example to fellow staff of correct work conduct and attitude at all times.
- Carry out all tasks asked of you by the members of the TECS management team, professionally and thoroughly.
- Must wear uniform continuously
HOURS OF WORK:
Language travel work is very demanding and all candidates should recognise that this job is anything but 9-5 living, with long hours needing to be put in by all camp staff. Due to the type of programme tutors will be assigned to supervised certain parts of the day, and will need to be flexible as this can change from day to day. On task-based learning days tutors are responsible for organising and running the off-site activity throughout the day until they return to the house. Time off will be given depending on the type of day, be it a day where they are off-site all day with the kids this will be limited but then this will be made up on days where the kids are on-site, and activities can be run by the monitor. Tutors will be on a rota basis when they will be needed to be onsite at night to supervise at night, but when they are not on they are free. Also at times, extra bonus time off will be assigned to those staff working hard and maintaining positive attitudes.
Benefits of Working on a TECS Summer Camp
- Ambience of summer camp environment- team work and spirit!
- Fulfilment of working with kids and of managing people in that environment.
- Professional and personal development
- Friends from around the world.
- Staff uniform- enough so you won’t have to rewash them yourself!
- Staff final meal – these are big things and for many staff the highlight of the summer so DON’T LEAVE CAMP UNTIL THE DAY AFTER WORK FINISHES.
- Knowledgeable year round central office management. The top management were ALL once staff members and mid-management themselves at one point.
- Supportive management structure.
- Guiding hand on the rewarding path to professional development and personal development.
Job Review and Performance Management
For all tutor positions, regular feedback will be provided from the Programme Director about job performance and objectives. They will also be available at any time to discuss concerns or problems that may occur, or to offer support in situations when help is deemed necessary. One to one meetings can also be arranged with the Camp Director at any time.
POSSIBLE FUTURE EMPLOYMENT:
TECS runs a year round academy and has a year-round team, therefore for teachers who display the correct attitude and work performance level there will be the opportunity of year round employment with us.
What we’re looking for: Requirements + Knowledge/Skills
- Experience of working with children in previous employment.
- Preferred summer camp or Language travel programme experience, but not essential.
- At least one year’s TEFL teaching experience (although very strong candidates new to TEFL will be considered if they display the appropriate camp personality).
- Online-qualified teachers will not be accepted if they do not have teaching practice.
- A full hundred hour TEFL qualification or normal school teaching qualification (if candidate has experience working with foreign language children).
- EU Nationals with C2 level of English.
- First class interpersonal skills with ability to control children in a motivational and fair way, which enables campers to integrate into the English environment smoothly and encourages them to speak English.
- Very high level of oral and written skills including persuasion, negotiation and advocacy.
- The ability to manage continually conflicting priorities in a high pressured environment.
- High energy levels and a young but responsible mature outlook on life and work.
- A positive attitude and ability to put yourself in other’s shoes in order to work effectively as a key part of a large diverse team.
- Adaptability and ability to think on the spot in what can be at times a highly unpredictable and spontaneous environment.
- Candidates with an EU driving license will be looked upon favourably.
*** Spanish is NOT a requirement to work on TECS Language Programmes as staff are not allowed to speak Spanish in front of the kids***
STATEMENT OF WRITTEN PARTICULARS
• Arrive to Swansea on Monday the 25th of June 2018.
• Staff Training: 26th June – 29th June
• Camp Work Start Date: 30th June (camper’s arrival)*.
• Fortnight 1+2: 30th June – 29th July 2017
Wage + Work Dates
All figures shown below are NET (after tax):
- Fortnight 1+2 (29th June – 27th July 2017): Net Pay: €1300
Other Conditions + Notes:
- Accommodation and food are included in the conditions.
- TECS believes in professional development and for that reason extensive training is given to all our staff who will be as well trained as is possible for the taking on of all their responsibilities.
- All as stated above in “benefits of the job”.
* As this is start of camp, this is the start date which will appear on Spanish contracts.