This page is the complete description and details for the summer camp TEFL Teacher position including job responsibilities, dates, wage, etc. At the bottom of the page you can apply online and download the complete pdf job profile.
Job Title: Logistics Responsible + Driver
Reports to: Before the summer reports to the Assistant Director of Language Camps, and during the summer Camp Director and Camp Logistics director.
Pre-Summer: Material, Administrative and Maintenance tasks in preparation for set up of the camps.
During Summer: Site preparation, maintenance tasks, and safety of all children and staff in their vans at all times.
As you will notice from the way this job profile is laid out there is are two main periods of time that the position is split up into as the job differs quite a lot between them, Pre-Summer (April-June) and Summer (end of June – end of summer). The idea is that the Logistics Responsible + Driver is a person that comes out to work from around April time and will start preparing all of the materials and other things before we begin setting up our camps during the summer. During this time they will also help out with general maintenance and tasks around our centre.
Once the summer comes and the other camp drivers and support arrive this person will do all of the tasks that a normal camp driver and support does (See camp support and driver job profile). As this person is the head of the camp support and driver positions they will also be expected to take on more responsibility than the rest of the camp support and act as a leader; training, supporting and guiding them to do the best job possible throughout the summer.
Candidates must be enthusiastic, have initiative and a lot of stamina and deemed to have the “camp personality”. Candidates for this position should be interested in developing their language skills, as in this post, unlike other one’s, Spanish will be required to be spoken. Anyone interested in the Logistics Responsible + Driver position must also read the normal camp driver and support job profile as the responsibilities here are on top of those.
Job Responsibilities + Tasks
- Stock taking and dividing up the materials
- Pick up supplies and carry out tasks in local towns efficiently and effectively.
- Be on call Driver in case of emergency or special need.
- Be a support to the camp facilities for preparation of the camp, tidying up the camp and in the daily running of the camp.
- Planning of set up of Camps, including updating manuals and visiting camps to organize how set up will be done.
- Stock taking and dividing up the materials for the different camps: T-shirts, caps, office materials, set up camp materials, everything!!!
- Planning training of camp supports
- Assisting office staff with practical tasks such as preparing mass mailings, general admin, or driving tasks.
- Set up tasks of Family Camp as required (this will be tough physical work)
- Set Up and preparation tasks for other camps.
- Training of all camp supports and management of the camp supports, guidance, reporting to CO, checking, making sure prepared and ready for their roles at camp
- This would include visiting the sites with the camp support
- Collecting the camp vans
- Practical training sessions
- This would include IT skills, cash box for the camp supports from the other camps, so you would have to learn this and prepare yourself for this
- Practical usage of the vans, safety etc.
- Assisting with the set up and running of any FIPs.
- Act as one of the Family Camp Puerto camp driver and support: All tasks and responsibilities outlined in the camp driver and support job profile.
- Be a role model for the other camp support.
- Be a leader for all of the camp support, even though some of them will be in different camps. This will mean:
- Being a good example to them.
- Have a role in guiding them to be the best they can be.
- Coordinate task that involve multiple camps.
- Checking in, either in person or over the phone, with the other camp drivers and support throughout the summer to see if they need any help, support, advice or further training.
- Communication with the camp directors and central office director of logistics about the performance and incidents with the other camp drivers and support.
- Continuation of Central Office based maintenance based tasks as were needed, especially during tidy up of month camps.
- Helping coordinate tidy up of five camps and updating things in tidy up manual and storing properly materials on arrival back to camp (warning this would be in addition to your normal diving tasks in FC), we still would have to work out how this would be done, an idea would be Matthew G covering morning shifts, you working on tidy up of the other camps and then covering partly your shift in the evenings, if we could not cover it with another monitor.
- For the few days after camp ends, ensuring that all final tidy up duties are done.
HOURS OF WORK:
Before the summer: The main interest for TECS to make this offer is because you proved yourself last year to be very capable, positive, hardworking and flexible when needed. Therefore it would be important to bear in mind that TECS would be looking for you to again show all these qualities throughout your time with us and more. Before the summer begins the position generally works 5 days a week, more or less doing a full intense timetable day (not as intense as camp work but getting there) with one hour for lunch with a lot of flexibility being required at key moments, which could include a working day at the weekend (at times/ when needed). There may be a weekend of two where we will have some camp training or events in which you will be expected to attend.
During the Summer: Camp work is very demanding and all candidates should recognise that this job is anything but 9-5 living, with long hours needing to be put in by all camp staff. The hours of work for Camp Driver and Supports, during the weekdays, will be worked out in a shift pattern, where one driver will do the morning and afternoon shift and the other the afternoon and night shift. The Drivers will swap around shifts every week. The morning shift starts at 10:00 and finishes at 20:30, with about a two hour break for lunch. The night shift involves the activity drops offs, 15:30-20:30, evening pick ups and drop offs, 20:30-01:00, and office help, 22:00-00:00, and being on call from 20:30 until the morning in case of any emergency or special duty. Camp Driver and Supports are off at all other times during the week.
Because of the nature and responsibility of their job the Camp Driver and Supports have much more time off than normal camp staff, however because of this situation, Camp Driver and Supports are expected to be flexible with their hours and, if emergency or special need requires it, be willing to make them self available to drive during some of their time off. All Camp Driver and Support applicants should also note that some arrival and departure transfers require very early starts. The Camp Driver and Supports, like all camp staff, have one day off each week at the weekend. All staff are also always required to stay on site at night on pre-departure Fridays and on all Sundays
The Camp Logistics Responsible + Driver will have, included as part of their conditions, accommodation throughout their contract. Before the summer camps begin this accommodation will be in our shared flat in El Puerto de Santa Maria. They may also be asked to be the responsible person for the flat, meaning that they would be the person in charge of communicating issues related to the flat with management, and preparing the house and beds when new people are moving into the flat.
Once the summer camps begin then the logistics responsible + driver will move into the camp facilities as all other summer staff.
Benefits of Working on a TECS Summer Camp
- Ambience of summer camp environment- team work and spirit!
- Fulfilment of working with kids and of managing people in that environment.
- Professional and personal development
- Friends from around the world.
- Sun and fun!
- Staff uniform- enough so you won’t have to rewash them yourself!
- Staff events- weekend trips, sport and game competitions during camp.
- Management Bonding Meal at before camp starts and reward meal at end of summer.
- Staff final meal – these are big things and for many staff the highlight of the summer so DON’T LEAVE CAMP UNTIL THE DAY AFTER WORK FINISHES.
- Knowledgeable year round central office management. The top management were ALL once staff members and mid-management themselves at one point.
- Supportive management structure.
- Guiding hand on the rewarding path to professional development and personal development.
Job Review and Performance Management
Regular feedback will be provided from the Camp director and Camp Logistics director about job performance and objectives. Also the Camp Site Director and/or the Central Office Director of Logistics will be available at any time to discuss concerns or problems that may occur, or to offer support in situations when help is deemed necessary.
POSSIBLE FUTURE EMPLOYMENT:
TECS runs a year round academy and has a year-round team, therefore for teachers who display the correct attitude and work performance level there will be the opportunity of year round employment with us.
What we’re looking for: Requirements + Knowledge/Skills
- Dedication and efficiency displayed in previous employment.
- Preferred some experience of working in a children’s environments.
- Minimum 3 years driving experience and experience driving large vehicles (vans or estate cars) preferred but not essential if driver is confident and experienced.
- Preferred experience of driving on the right hand side of the road and driving abroad.
- Experience of working in a fast moving environment where stress levels can at times be very high.
- A Level or Higher qualifications or another nation’s equivalent.
- Applicant must have a valid European Union car driving license, or have the correct collaborating documents which validate their home country’s driving licence to be used in Spain (photocopies of all these things MUST be sent with the application).
- Applicant should be 21 years old by the start of camp.
- Ability to work long hours and communicate well with fellow employees.
- High energy levels and a young but responsible mature and outlook on life and work.
- Basic knowledge of Spanish and the customs and culture of Spain preferred but not essential.
(Camp Driver applicants some knowledge of Spanish is preferable as Drivers will need to communicate with Spanish speaking people when buying supplies and carrying out transfers)
STATEMENT OF WRITTEN PARTICULARS
- The starting date is not set but will be between March-May
- Work Dates: From start until 1st September 2017
- Monthly Gross Wage: €980
- Possible performance bonuses:
- Pre-Summer (Start until end of June): €200 (E), €100 (VG), €50 (G)
- Summer Performance (July+August): €300 (E), €200 (VG), €100 (G)
- Tidy Up: €100 (E), €60 (VG), €30 (G)
Possible Performance Bonuses:
TECS provides standard reference gradings (Exceptional (E), Very good (VG), Good (G), To Standard Required, Below Standard Required, Unsatisfactory) and believes in reward staff, with the bonuses stated above, should their performance be deemed to be above the minimum standard required (i.e. Good and above). Each of the bonuses mentioned above is available depending on the quality of their general performance or the how they performed in certain areas as follows:
- Pre-Summer Bonus (April-June): This will be based on general attitude and performance, the training and guidanace of camp drivers and support, for quality of division of materials and set up of the camps, and for generally striving to go above and beyond to achieve all objectives.
- Summer Performance Bonus: This will be based on their overall performance during the months the actual camps are running. The will be based on their performance as a camp driver and support, and how they support the other camp drivers and support and other camp staff such as the camp directors, the central office team, the maintenance team, and the summer camp staff.
- Summer Tidy Up Bonus: This bonus will be based on the quality to which tidy up post-camp is completed and the effort the person put in to ensure that everything was tidied away, tasks completed and left perfect before them finishing their contract.
These bonuses will be based on the grading as decided on by the central office director of logistics and camp director. An employee is NOT entitled to any bonus should they be deemed to have done a performance that is deemed to be “To Standard Required”, “Below Standard Required” or “Unsatisfactory”.
- Accommodation throughout contract length (In our company apartment during the pre-summer period and on the summer camp during the summer.)
- All meals will be provided from the beginning of staff training weekend, and some but not all before then.
- All as stated above in “benefits of the job”.
- As we believe in team bonding there will be social events organised in the evenings during Management training week, including the Sunday arrival evening, which you are expected to attend in order to create the best management team possible.
- TECS believes in professional development although the Camp Drivers mainly assists with the practical set up of the camp, their training is basic to start practically driving straight away for the taking on of all their responsibilities.
- At all moments your position would need to accept that, unlike perhaps other (non-camp) maintenance staff, you wouldn’t be able to claim extra pay for extra hours done because as said this would be: partly expected as a camp employee (as you know all camp staff tend to give more), partly be covered by the possible bonus and also, on occasions, when loads extra were being given, as appropriate, we would on occasions work out for some extra time off to compensate to a degree the extra done.