This page is the complete description and details for the summer camp IT Specialist position including job responsibilities, dates, wage, etc. At the bottom of the page you can apply online and download the complete pdf job profile.
Job Title: Camp IT Specialist
Reports to: Ast. Director of TECS Camps, and at times Camp Director and Logistics Director.
The IT Specialist is one of camp support staff whose main responsibility is the IT side of things, that is to say taking photos, updating the website and social media, etc. Perspective candidates should possess wide computer skills and knowledge and have a desire to use these abilities within the dynamics of a children’s summer camp environment. They must connect well with children and be interested in developing skills working with children as they will have interaction with the kids when doing things like taking photos and handing out the pocket money. Candidates should be effective and reliable working alone and enjoy working on large ongoing projects like film making.
Candidates should be young, or young at heart, and be full of imagination and energy, in order to meet the extraordinary demands of camp work.
Job Responsibilities + Tasks
- To update the “TECS Life” part of the TECS’ web site www.tecs.es on a daily basis.
- To take photos of camp and upload them every day.
- To be responsible for maintaining and updating the the facebook sites for all camps each day.
- To act as the camp banker for the children’s pocket money.
- To produce camp videos and slide shows.
- To produce the camp awards and certificates.
- Act as the camp photographer and upload photos on a daily basis.
- Write a short description on camp life on a daily basis and upload to web site.
- Be the colour war point’s scorer and daily update the colour war score, online and on the physical colour war score board.
- Insert all new champions and records into the camp web site.
- Upload all leader and class group photos per camp.
POCKET MONEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Insert camper’s pocket money into camp database at beginning of camp and daily insert out-goings or in-goings into each camper’s pocket money account.
- Daily hand out requested pocket money to campers in each age group during assigned money time.
- Ensure that the pocket money box has enough change at all times, ordering more change through the Camp Director as needed.
- Put the remaining pocket money into each camper’s blue envelope at the end of each two week camp.
- Daily check that money in the cash box equals that on the database.
- At all times when the cash box is taken out of the camp office, be responsible for the security of the money.
VIDEO and SLIDE SHOW
- Produce a camp video by the end of camp as guided by Ast. Director of TECS Language Camps.
- Film, edit and create any footage as assigned by Director of Ast. TECS Language Camps, for the Camp DVD or for training purposes.
- Produce a 10 minute slide show of camper photos for the last Friday of every camp.
- Make a 10 minute slide show of staff photos to be shown at the final meal at the end of camp.
- On Thursday of every second week get the full champion’s list from each coordinator.
- Insert the winners’ names into the camp database and print out all awards and certificates.
- Ensure these awards are given back well ahead of time to the Coordinators.
- Assist Camp Director with the production of any other awards.
- Posting on behalf of each camp on their Facebook page.
- Selecting camp photos and videos to put on the Facebook pages.
- Reading the camp manuals, http://www.tecs.es/employment/, and familiarising yourself with all areas of the camp programme before your arrival on camp.
- Ensure the effective supervision and safety of the campers at all times.
- In case of need due to staff illness act as a monitor, supervising and ensuring the safety of the assigned leader group.
- Familiarise yourself thoroughly with the physical environment and organisation of the camp
- Participate in regular meetings held with the Directors before and during the camp.
- Carryout the assigned responsibilities on Arrivals and Departures days and carryout assigned camp site set up duties before and after these days.
- This will usually involve doing check ins and check outs on the database and some time for taking photos.
- On working day of Excursion weekends, work on the assigned area/tasks as given by Camp Director or Director of TECS Language Camps (this will usually involve staying on camp and either taking photos and doing tasks for the intercamp competition, or assisting with other maintenance tasks).
- At times, carryout assigned office/admin tasks.
- Ensure the campers respect all camp facilities and equipment and at all times be responsible for ensuring the campers uphold the camp rules and regulations.
- Uphold all areas of the staff code of conduct, as outlined in the conditions of contract sheet, and be an example to fellow staff of correct work conduct and attitude at all times.
- Carry out all tasks asked of you by the members of the TECS management team, professionally and thoroughly.
- Must wear uniform continuously, green TECS polo.
- Be responsible for ensuring the correct set up and tidy up of all electronic equipment and ensure all electrical equipment is respected by staff and campers at all times (this will involve working a few days longer than normal camp staff).
- Be responsible for copying all photos on to CDs per camp, ensuring that some photos are taken and saved in a high resolution in order to be used for marketing purposes.
- Correctly storing the photos and videos on the camp server in filing format in the IT manual.
- As needed assist with the formatting of the camp magazine.
- As needed assist with the editing of the senior film project’s short film.
- Help with resolving computer problems on camp as needed.
- The Central Office IT will assist in the training of the other staff member doing IT responsibilities.
- The Central Office IT will assist the camp secretary with their tasks when needed, and will cover for them in cases of sickness or absence.
HOURS OF WORK:
The hours of work for an IT Specialist are not set and are instead dictated by daily events. All candidates should be prepared to have an open work schedule and be prepared to work long hours, particularly at the beginning and end of each camp, to get jobs/tasks finished. Daily time off, will be dictated by the individual day as stated, but when possible will usually be taken 17.00-20.00. Henceforth all IT applicants must be good at working independently and be responsible in managing a relatively open work schedule in which they have long term objectives to work towards. Please note IT Specialists like Camp Directors work a few days after the end of camp (the last day the campers are on camp) in order to allow them to properly finish off their video editing tasks.
IT Specialists will have one day off each week at the weekend. ITs like all staff will be required to stay on site all night on key nights, pre-departure Fridays and all Sundays.
Benefits of Working on a TECS Summer Camp
- Ambience of summer camp environment- team work and spirit!
- Fulfilment of working with kids and of managing people in that environment.
- Professional and personal development
- Friends from around the world.
- Sun and fun!
- Staff uniform- enough so you won’t have to rewash them yourself!
- Staff events- weekend trips, sport and game competitions during camp.
- Management Bonding Meal at before camp starts and reward meal at end of summer.
- Staff final meal – these are big things and for many staff the highlight of the summer so DON’T LEAVE CAMP UNTIL THE DAY AFTER WORK FINISHES.
- Knowledgeable year round central office management. The top management were ALL once staff members and mid-management themselves at one point.
- Supportive management structure.
- Guiding hand on the rewarding path to professional development and personal development.
Job Review and Performance Management
Regular feedback will be provided from the Ast. Director of TECS Language Camps about job performance and objectives. Also the Ast. Director of TECS Language Camps will be available at any time to discuss concerns or problems that may occur, or to offer support in situations when help is deemed necessary. One to one meetings can also be arranged with the Ast. Director of TECS Language Camps and/or the Director of TECS Language Camps at any time.
POSSIBLE FUTURE EMPLOYMENT:
TECS runs a year round academy and has a year-round team, therefore for teachers who display the correct attitude and work performance level there will be the opportunity of year round employment with us.
What we’re looking for: Requirements + Knowledge/Skills
- Some experience of working with children in past employment preferred.
- Experience working in IT like work preferred but not essential if applicant has required skills and knowledge.
- Experience working alone on jobs with very little supervision or assistance.
- Experience working with money in past employment preferred.
- Relevant IT qualifications from school and/ or university.
- It is handy, though not required, that IT Specialist possess a valid driving license and be willing to drive an eight seater van.
- Experience working with: html and asp, windows environment, office suit programs, LANs, scanning and photograph editing programs (Photo Shop etc..) a necessity.
- Digital photography, film making and access and computer programming skills will be looked upon favourable.
- The ability to manage continually conflicting priorities in a high pressured environment.
- High energy levels and a young but responsible mature outlook on life and work.
- Adaptability and ability to think on the spot in what can be at times a highly unpredictable and spontaneous environment.
STATEMENT OF WRITTEN PARTICULARS
- Arrive on Thursday 20th June 2019.
- • Training + Tasks: 21st June – 29th June.
- Camp Work Start Date: 30th June (camper’s arrival)*.
- Work Dates: 30th June – 29th July (end of the day)
Note: We do have some extra positions that can start a week or two previously to the dates mentioned above. If interested please indicate on application.
* As this is start of camp, this is the start date which will appear on Spanish contracts.
All figures below are for the dates stated above and are in NET (after tax):
- Net Pay: €650
- Possible Performance Bonus: € 100 (Ex), € 60 (VG), € 30 (G)
- Total Possible Pay: €650- €750
Other Conditions + Notes:
- Accommodation and food are included in the conditions.
- TECS believes in professional development and for that reason extensive training is given to all our staff who will be as well trained as is possible for the taking on of all their responsibilities.
- All as stated above in “benefits of the job”.
- As we believe in team bonding there will be social events organised in the evenings during Management training week, including the Thursday arrival evening, which you are expected to attend in order to create the best management team possible.
- There will be a special end of camp dinner and party for staff in all camps on the last night of the 2nd fortnight. Staff are permitted to sleep on site the night of their end of camp dinner and party but must leave before 12 noon on the Sunday. For those working in August there will be another end of camp dinner and party at the end of fortnight 4.
- Performance Bonuses: This is a possible performance related bonus. TECS provides standard reference gradings (Exceptional (E), Very good (VG), Good (G), To Standard Required, Below Standard Required, Unsatisfactory) and believes in reward staff, with the bonuses stated above, should their performance be deemed to be above the minimum standard required (i.e. Good and above). These bonuses will be based on the reference grading as decided on by the camp director. An employee is NOT entitled to any bonus should they be deemed to have done a performance that is deemed to be “To Standard Required”, “Below Standard Required” or “Unsatisfactory”.