Camp Director Job Profile
This page is the complete description and details for the summer camp director position including job responsibilities, dates, wage, etc. At the bottom of the page you can apply online.
Job Title: Camp Director
Level: Overall Camp Manager
Reports to: Central Office Team
Responsible for: Mainly for mid management staff: Activity, TEFL and Welfare coordinators but also at all times all camp staff.
The camp director is the overall responsible for everything that happens on their summer camp. Their main responsibilities are to manage the coordinators to ensure that they are performing to the best of their abilities, and therefore the staff that they are in turn responsible for are too. The camp director is also responsible for various other tasks such as administrative tasks, the running of key days such as arrival/departure days, communication with the site owners, etc.
Job Responsibilities + Tasks
To oversee and ensure the highest quality of all areas of camp run by mid management: Activity and TEFL programmes and also Welfare and Parental Communication.
- To manage the staff on all levels of camp life.
- To ensure the running of all areas of the camp site facilities and services, including maintenance, kitchen, cleaning and laundry.
- Oversee and support the TEFL coordinators in all areas of their work (refer to TEFL coordinator profile) at all times. Holding daily meetings to discuss issues.
- Alongside TEFL coordinators, monitor teacher performance, carrying out general observations daily.
- Hold general teacher meetings each Friday and attend age groups meetings as required.
- Be a supportive base for teachers at all times.
- With TEFL Coordinators, manage the teachers in all parts of their work during teaching time: classes and lunch.
- Supervise TEFL Coordinators in the carrying out of their extra tasks: magazine editing, management of TEFL office, A+C and Project supervision and the production of the staff bulletins.
- In case of staff illness or absence cover as a TEFL teacher.
- As needed observe the TEFL Coordinators in the teaching of their classes.
- In smaller camps, Directors may also fulfil the role of TEFL Coordinator.
- Oversee and support the Activity and TEFL Coordinators in all areas of the activity programme (refer to Coordinator’s profile). Holding daily meetings to discuss issues.
- Alongside coordinators, supervise monitors’ work performance.
- Hold the general monitor meeting each second Friday and attend age group meetings as required.
- Be a supportive base for monitors at all times.
WELFARE and PARENTAL COMMUNICATION
- Oversee and support the Welfare Coordinator in all welfare issues and parental communication.
- As needed, after the Welfare Coordinators, be the next layer of welfare support provided to our campers.
- As needed, phone parents daily about programming or TEFL issues concerning their child.
- Ensure all welfare and parental communication issues are properly registered in our internal system.
- Do daily checks of camp site to check for maintenance and cleaning problems.
- Communicate daily to maintenance jobs needing done and oversee that they are completed.
- Do daily checks of camp site, checking that areas have been cleaned and broken things repaired.
- Communicate daily with cleaning staff on problems and oversee that they are completed.
- Monitor camp meals and give kitchen daily feedback on success/quality of the food.
- Meet weekly with kitchen and cleaning/laundry responsible as required.
- Monitor the daily taking of staff and camper laundry and deal with situations of loss and damage to clothing as a consequence of the laundry.
- Be responsible for controlling the camp money, ensuring that the money is appropriately spent and that a record is kept of all expenses and of all receipts. Consult all large expenses with the Director of TECS Camps before authorising.
- In coordination with maintenance, oversee the final tidy up duties of camp and oversee the close down of the camp site. (This will involve working three days longer than other camp staff.)
TRAINING WEEKs AND PREPARATION OF CAMP
- Take part in meetings held before the start of camp (All directors are required to attend the planning weekend in May).
- Contribute to the planning of both the mid-management’s training weekend and monitor/teacher training weeks.
- Run allocated parts of the staff or mid-management training weeks.
- Familiarise yourself thoroughly with all parts of the job before the start of staff training.
OTHER GENERAL DIRECTOR DUTIES
- At weekends, lead one of the excursions: being responsible for running the excursion, managing all staff and ensuring the safety of the children at all times.
- Oversee all areas of Arrivals and Departures weekends.
- At ALL times be responsible for ensuring that ALL staff carry out their duties to the required standard.
- Meet as required with Central Office team to give updates and discuss any pertinent issues.
- Be the overall on site responsible on every second night.
- Hold fortnightly management and staff meetings prior to start of Arrivals Day.
- Reading the camp manuals, https://tecsemployment.com/manuals/, and familiarising yourself with all areas of the camp before your arrival.
HOURS OF WORK:
The hours of work for a Camp Site Director are not set and are instead dictated by daily events. All candidates should be prepared to have an open work schedule and be prepared to work long hours, particularly in the initial stages of camp, to get jobs/tasks finished. The Camp Site Director will have one day off each week at the weekend. Daily time off, will be dictated by the individual day as stated, but when possible will usually be taken during sports sessions and/or in the evenings. The Camp Site Director will be the on site responsible every second evening and be required to be on site all night on those days. All staff are also always required to stay on site at night on pre-departure Fridays and on all Sundays.
Benefits of Working on a TECS Summer Camp
- Ambience of summer camp environment- team work and spirit!
- Fulfilment of working with kids and of managing people in that environment.
- Professional and personal development
- Friends from around the world.
- Sun and fun!
- Staff uniform- enough so you won’t have to rewash them yourself!
- Staff events- weekend trips, sport and game competitions during camp.
- Management Bonding Meal at before camp starts and reward meal at end of summer.
- Staff final meal – these are big things and for many staff the highlight of the summer so DON’T LEAVE CAMP UNTIL THE DAY AFTER WORK FINISHES.
- Knowledgeable year round central office management. The top management were ALL once staff members and mid-management themselves at one point.
- Supportive management structure.
- Guiding hand on the rewarding path to professional development and personal development.
Job Review and Performance Management
Regular feedback will be provided by the central office team about job performance and objectives. Also the Director of TECS Camps and/or the Ast. Director of TECS Language Camps will be available at any time to discuss concerns or problems that may occur.
POSSIBLE FUTURE EMPLOYMENT:
TECS runs a year round academy and has a year-round team, therefore for teachers who display the correct attitude and work performance level there will be the opportunity of year round employment with us.
What we’re looking for: Requirements + Knowledge/Skills
- All camp staff must be E.U. citizens or have valid work permit (N.I.E. or T.I.E.)
- All camp staff must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before they arrive to camp. Proof must be provided on arrival by showing EU Digital Covid Certificate.
- At least three years of TEFL teaching experience and preferably some experience of work on summer camps or summer schools.
- Relevant experience of man-management in past employment.
- Experience of D.O.S. like work preferred but not essential if candidate has relevant teaching knowledge and experience of leadership.
- Experience of working in fast moving environment where stress levels can at times be very high.
- Competent knowledge of Microsoft Office package and preferred experience of using Databases.
- First class interpersonal skills, with ability to man-manage in a motivational and fair way which encourages staff to maintain high levels of performance.
- Very high level of oral and written skills including persuasion, negotiation and advocacy.
- The ability to manage continually conflicting priorities in a high pressured environment.
- High energy levels and a young but responsible and mature outlook on life and work.
- A high level of Spanish in all skill areas and good knowledge of the customs and culture of Spanish people.
STATEMENT OF WRITTEN PARTICULARS
- Arrive on Thursday 14th July 2022.
- Training + Preparation: 15th+16th July.
- Camp Work Start Date: 17th July (camper’s arrival)*.
- Finish Date: 1st August (at the end of the day).
TECS Camp Gredos, Magic Village/Little Village + TECS Puerto (NOT 2022)
Arrive on Friday the 24th of June 2022 from 15:00-20:00. Management Training Week: 25th-28th June. Staff Training Week: 29th June* – 2nd July. Camp Work Start Date: 3rd July (camper’s arrival). Finish Date: 3rd August (at the end of the day).
TECS Land Wales (NOT 2022)
Arrive on Friday the 28th of June 2021 from 15:00-20:00. Management Training Week: 28th+29th June. Staff Training Week: 30th June* – 3rd July. Camp Work Start Date: 4th July (camper’s arrival). Finish Date: 17th August (at the end of the day). Dates for TECS Land Wales are still pending confirmation.
Strong candidates should apply even if the exact dates of training weeks do not perfectly suit.
*As this is start of camp work for directors, this is the start date which will appear on Spanish contracts.
Below you can see the stated contract length (excluding training week). All figures shown below are NET (after tax):
TECS College: Net Pay: €875
Other Conditions + Notes:
- Accommodation throughout contract length.
- All meals will be provided from the beginning of staff training weekend, and some but not all before then.
- TECS believes in professional development and for that reason extensive training is given to all our staff who will be as well trained as is possible for the taking on of all their responsibilities.
- All as stated above in “benefits of the job”.
- As we believe in team bonding there will be social events organised in the evenings during Management training weekend, including the Friday arrival evening, which you are expected to attend in order to create the best management team possible.
- There will be a special end of camp dinner and party for staff in all camps on the last night of the 2nd fortnight for Magic/Little Village and TECS Camp Gredos. Staff are permitted to sleep on site the night of their end of camp dinner and party but must leave before 12 noon on the Sunday. For those working in August there will be another end of camp dinner and party at the end of fortnight 3.
- Although it is unusual, we may have a mini camp running during our training week. This means that some staff, usually managers or returnee staff, will be needed to work on them.