Crew Member Job Profile
This page is the complete description and details for the summer camp crew member position including job responsibilities, dates, wage, etc. At the bottom of the page you can apply online.
Job Title: Crew Member
Reports to: Camp Monitors, Activity Coordinator
Responsible for: Assigned to a group of campers and assist with the responsible monitor the camper’s daily routines at camp.
Job Responsibilities + Tasks
- To provide a supportive emotional base for campers in your age group/ leader group
- Act as a support to your assigned monitor, by working in a team throughout the daily routine of camp life
- Support your Welfare Coordinators when needed with individual campers
- Be a responsible staff member and take on a professional role with the campers and fellow staff
- Reading the camp manuals, https://tecsemployment.com/manuals/, and familiarising yourself with all areas of camp before arrival.
- Ensure the safety of the campers and fun at all times.
- Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with the assigned leader group, ensuring proper table control, manners and that each child eats sufficiently.
- Assist a leader group with a monitor on one of the excursions at the weekend, which includes working the ‘putting to bed’ time and ‘morning routine’ of that excursion.
GENERAL LEADER REPSONSIBILITIES
- Assist your monitor with monitoring the behaviour and progress of the campers in the allocated group in the recreational activities.
- Assist with the supervision and ensure the safety of the assigned leader group on one of the excursions held at the weekend.
- Familiarise yourself thoroughly with the physical environment and organisation of the camp
- Participate in regular meetings held with the Coordinators and Directors before and during the camp.
- Carry out the assigned responsibilities on Arrivals and Departures days and carryout assigned camp site set up duties before and after these days.
- At times, carryout assigned office/admin tasks.
- As needed, assist with the tidy up of camp at the weekends. This would involve tasks like making beds and basic cleaning and general organisation of the camp facilities. On Arrivals and Departures days all staff members are assigned to camp site set up duties before and after these days. These are hectic days were staff pull together to complete the various jobs that need to be done. These jobs may include litter picks, posting or taking down signs, helping with camp setup or rearranging of materials, orientating parents and campers, or helping with the final tidy up and maintenance/cleaning jobs.
- Ensure the campers respect all camp facilities and equipment and at all times be responsible for ensuring the campers uphold the camp rules and regulations.
- Uphold all areas of the staff code of conduct as outlined in the conditions of contract sheet and be an example to fellow staff of correct work conduct and attitude at all times.
- Carry out all tasks asked of you by the members of the TECS management team, professionally and thoroughly.
- Must wear uniform continuously, red TECS polo on arrivals, departures and excursions and blue or white TECS Crew Member t-shirts at all other times.
OTHER PROGRAMME DUTIES
- Assist the welfare part of the getting up routine.
- Assist phoning in and out time of assigned age group.
- Assist shower time in assigned area.
- Assist all parts of all meal times go smoothly: diets, serving, quality of food and general control of campers.
- Assist the calling in and out times of campers.
- Assist the welfare part of sports sessions.
- At times carryout assigned office/admin tasks.
- As needed, accompany children and staff on trips to the hospital/ dentist etc..
- Speak English to the campers at all times unless Spanish is needed for welfare, discipline or medical reasons.
- Ensure the campers respect all camp facilities and equipment at all times and be responsible for ensuring the campers uphold the camp rules and regulations.
- Must wear uniform continuously
HOURS OF WORK:
Camp work is very demanding and all candidates should recognise that this job is anything but 9-5 living, with long hours needing to be put in by all camp staff. Depending on the assigned age group, time off during the day will be between 3 and 4 hours. Each crew member will also have one week evening (from end of evening entertainment) and the morning after off and one full day off at the weekend. Also at times, extra bonus time off will be assigned to those staff working hard and maintaining positive attitudes.
Benefits of Working on a TECS Summer Camp
Benefits of working on a TECS Summer Camp
- Ambience of summer camp environment- team work and spirit!
- Fulfilment of working with kids and of managing people in that environment.
- Professional and personal development
- Friends from around the world.
- Sun and fun!
- Staff uniform- enough so you won’t have to rewash them yourself!
- Staff events- weekend trips, sport and game competitions during camp.
- Staff final meal – these are big things and for many staff the highlight of the summer so DON’T LEAVE CAMP UNTIL THE DAY AFTER WORK FINISHES.
- Knowledgeable year round central office management. The top management were ALL once staff members and mid-management themselves at one point.
- Supportive management structure.
- Guiding hand on the rewarding path to professional development and personal development.
Job Review and Performance Management
Regular feedback will be provided from the Activity Coordinator about job performance and objectives. Also the Activity Coordinator will be available at any time to discuss concerns or problems that may occur, or to offer support in situations when help is deemed necessary. One to one meetings can also be arranged with the Camp Director at any time.
What we’re looking for: Requirements + Knowledge/Skills
- Preferred FCE Level of English or equivalent
- Any Crew Member must be 17 years old before the start of camp.
- They must not be older than 19 years old before camp finishes.
- Preferred experience of working with children in previous employment.
- Required to have attended a TECS summer camp or be a student in El Centro Inglés.
- Preferred experience of assistance in a school/ coach/ activities.
- Always able to speak English in all parts of the day at camp.
- High energy levels and a young but responsible mature outlook on life and work.
- A positive attitude.
- Adaptability and ability to think on the spot in what can be at times a highly unpredictable and spontaneous environment.
- A caring personality, which will allow children to take to you quickly and view you as a surrogate mother or father.
SPECIFIC REQUIRMENTS TO BE AWARE OF WHEN APPLYING TO BE A CREW MEMBER:
- Candidates must be Spanish.
- Candidates should not apply to TECS to be both a camper and a crew member position but only one.
- Regarding this application and work experience as an adult position, crew members are responsible entirely for their own application, so any communication and queries regarding the application and position must come from the candidate and not their parents.
- Crew member positions are seen as work positions and hence an application will not guarantee an offer of a position nor an interview.
- Crew Members, excepting Little Village, will usually not be placed in the same camp where they were a camper in the last 2 years.
- Regarding the end of camp meal, staff members will be drinking alcohol and although the crew member will be told they are not permitted to drink alcohol on this day, staff will not be working, so it will not be the camps responsibility to control the crew member doesn’t drink and ultimately this is their own responsibility.
STATEMENT OF WRITTEN PARTICULARS
- Arrive on Tuesday 27th June 2023 from 15:00.
- Staff Training Week: 28th June – 1st July.
- Campers arrive: 2nd July .
- Camps 1+2: 27th June – 29th July 2023.
- Camps 1-3: 27th June – 12th August 2023.
(There will be an end of camp dinner and party when the camp finishes. Crew Members are permitted to attend the camp dinners with permission of their parents, and are permitted to sleep on site the night of their end of camp dinner and party but must leave before 12 noon.)
Accommodation and food are included in the conditions. Accommodation will be provided throughout the contract length and all meals provided during the duration of camp. TECS believes in professional development and for that reason extensive training is given to all our staff who will be as well trained as is possible for the taking on of all their responsibilities.
- Application dates: October-January.
We will accept applications from October-January. Applications will be received during this time but will not be reviewed until after the application dates are closed (end of January). Any applications received after this will not be reviewed unless a candidate drops out.
- Interviews: February
At the end of January we will begin reviewing applications and begin offering interviews in order of strength of C.V. Interviews will be held over a Zoom during February or March. Successful candidates will receive an email in February/March. Once all positions are filled any applicants unsuccessful in getting an interview will be informed via email.
Throughout the following process it should be you, the crew member candidate, and not your parents that are in contact with TECS as we believe that the entire application and recruitment process are a valuable learning experience for you in the future:
- Throughout the following process it should be you, the crew member candidate, and not your parents that are in contact with TECS as we believe that the entire application and recruitment process are a valuable learning experience for you in the future:
- We will only accept applications from October – January: In order to apply to be a crew member with us please request an application for a crew member position by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will give you all of the instructions of how to complete the application form online. We will also send you a “acuerdo de colaboracion” document which your parents will need to review and sign. You will need to upload this to your online application in order to complete the application.
- We will be accepting applications until the end of January.
- In February we email you to confirm whether we want to offer you a zoom interview or not.
- If you are offered an interview you will be required to do certain reading before your interview in order for you to be the best prepared and to show that you are committed to being the best staff member you can be with the kids. If it is clear that you have not done this reading before the interview you will be asked to reschedule until you have done so.
- You will generally hear back from us about whether you are successful in getting a contract offer with us within 2 weeks of doing an interview.
- We will offer interview to the best candidates, therefore application to the position does not guarantee an interview. This also holds true for the offering of positions – an interview does not guarantee a position.
PRE-INTERVIEW READING FOR A CREW MEMBER
Any candidate that is asked to do an interview for any TECS position will be asked to do some pre-interview reading. The reason for this is to allow the candidate to be as fully informed about the position as possible allowing them to display this knowledge gained about the position during the interview and also, perhaps more importantly for the candidate, allow them to check the position is really right for them (not all of us suit summer camp work!).
All manuals can be accessed at www.tecsemployment.com in the log in box in the right hand corner. If you were invited to do an interview, you would receive the log in and password in the interview email.
A Crew Member candidate is required to read the following prior to an interview:
- Crew Member Manual (review all)
- General Manual (review all and read chapter 4 in detail)
- Sports + Games Manual (review all)
READING IN EVENT OF A CONTRACT OFFER
Any person contracted as a Crew Member is required to read all the following manuals before coming to camp:
- Crew Member (all in detail)
- General Manual (all in detail)
- Camp Structure Manual (the section of the camp you´ve been contracted for)
- Evening Entertainment Manual (general review)
- Arts and Crafts (general review)
- Sports + Games Manual (general notes in detail and review individual Sports activities write ups)