Who are we?
The English Centre is a bi-lingual, independent, co-educational private school in El Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz. We have students from 2 years to 18 years old. It was established in 1969 and has grown into one of the top private schools in Spain and one of the best examples of bi-lingual, bi-curricular education in Spain.
What is the job?
- You will be working as part of our team in the Early Years or Lower Primary Department where we have around 300 students (2-8 years old). Each class of 25 children usually has an English teacher/ tutor and a Classroom Language Assistant. The department also includes music and PE specialists plus a Spanish language teacher. In lower Primary the day is organised in subjects in both languages.
- You will provide support for literacy, numeracy and other learning activities and student’s development in the classroom under the supervision of a classroom teacher. This may as part of a larger group in the classroom or in smaller group and one to one sessions.
- You will speak English at all times to the children and encourage them to develop their English in a positive way.
- You will help teach the children how to read, write, dance, sing, paint, draw, eat and play. You will also focus on their values and their manners around the school.
You will also work on a variety of different creative projects, help with theatrical productions go on excursions with the children, take part in our fancy dress celebrations, produce big art displays and organise a large variety of games in the playground.
- You will supervise the correct and hygienic use of the bathrooms. This will involve cleaning and changing of the younger children or adequate attention in the case of an accident with the older members of Early Years and Lower Primary. You will also be responsible along with their tutor for feeding the children in the dining room and their general well-being in the classroom.
What’s in it for you?
- Working with young children is INCREDIBLY REWARDING. They are hilarious, honest, playful and fun. It is a great pleasure to watch them grow and achieve every day.
- You will get experience of our unique curriculum based on the British Foundation Stage model.
- You will get lots of hands on experience using the direct method of a second language teacher to young learners
- You will develop your abilities as a professional working with children including understanding their growth and development, interpreting their reactions and learning to react to unexpected conditions.
- You will learn to be part of a large and complex team developing your skills of interaction. You will also develop your maturity as you widen you horizons and cultural development.
- You will get a year’s experience in the top school in Andalucia. You will therefore improve your skills, knowledge and CV.
- You will live in a “typical” Spanish town that is not on the Costa del Sol. This means you will have a genuine contact with Spanish life and culture and learn to understand a second language en situ.
- You will be provided 400 euros a month PLUS accommodation in our chalet near the school, rent, bills, internet, breakfast, cleaning products and monthly deep clean, pool and garden maintenance
- We also provide you with travel insurance, uniform and a second hand bicycle to get around town.
- Working in a school you will receive a lot of public holidays and have opportunities to explore Andalucia, the rest of Spain, Portugal and Morocco.
- You will have opportunities to work on creative projects such as big art, computing, theatre productions, assemblies, dances and games
- The climate in Andalucia is very pleasant. We have long hot summers and short mild winters.
- You will live by the beach. Also there are mountains less than an hours drive away.
You are close to the cities of Cadiz, Jerez, Seville and Granada and connections are very good to the UK and the rest of Spain and Europe.
Who are we looking for?
- The ideal profile is that of a young enthusiastic person who has experience or has an interest in acquiring experience of working with young children. Applicants are of particular interest if they are; artistic, musical, sporty or creative as these are mediums that always facilitate learning.
- You must speak English to a native standard.
You must come from a country within European Union.
- You cannot have a NIE number. That means never have applied for/ received residency in Spain.
- Our Language Assistants must be positive, enthusiastic, energetic, reliable, and dedicated.
- We ask a lot from our Classroom Language Assistants and in return we give them all the support, training, and knowledge they will need to get the most out of their time in Andalucia.
Do not kid yourself !
- Working with young children is HARD WORK. It can be physical, messy, tiring and frustrating.
- If you work for us it is for a FULL academic year (September- June) and 35 hours/ week.
- We expect our employees to be presentable, punctual, polite and hard working. This is NOT 10 months of sunbathing!!!!
- You will be receiving a small monthly allowance that will cover your basic needs for life in El Puerto de Santa Maria.